The primary mission of the AACFL is to serve the community through its many programs. How is this accomplished? By promoting greater awareness and education to attorneys on the financial aspects of litigation. One end result will be a reduction in the need for court time or avoiding litigation altogether. A reduction in court time needed for these issues will reduce the workload of the courts allowing the justices to focus their valuable time more pressing matters. Other end results will include a way for the public to more easily distinguish the lawyers who have had advanced training, a more efficient process for the parties, and mentoring among lawyers and judges to create a more cooperative legal community.
In this webinar you will learn:
- How the market has affected the multiples utilized in the valuation of a private company and the impact on short-term discount rates
- How the date of the valuation impacts value.
- How transaction data in the private M&A markets affect current business valuation multiples.
- How rates of returns in the public market affect the use of an income approach to valuation.
- How you might adjust a company’s cash flow for this type of uncertainty.
- Litigation impacts (Impacts on Appraisal Actions/Dissolution Actions).
- Impact on Intellectual Property (IP) Valuation.
- Potential planning opportunities.
In this presentation for family law practitioners, industry experts will dive into the uncertainty surrounding today's economy and the critical impact it has on business valuations in divorce proceedings.
Meet the Presenters
Kenneth Pia, Jr.
Partner, Business Valuation Industry Leader - Marcum LLP
Kenneth J. Pia, Jr. is a partner and the leader of the Business Valuation Industry group. With more than 30 years of professional business valuation and litigation support experience, Ken has developed a national reputation working on a wide range of complex valuation engagements. He has performed valuations of businesses and partial business interests for a variety of purposes including, but not limited to, family law matters, employee stock ownership plans, business damages, buy-sell agreements, shareholder litigation, estate and gift tax matters, and buying and selling businesses. Ken is the Chair of the American Society of Appraisers (ASA) Business Valuation Committee, is a member of the National Business Valuation Education Sub Committee, and teaches nationally for the ASA’s accreditation program. Mr. Pia is also a Charter Member of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Foundation’s Forensic & Business Valuation Division.
Mitchell Y. Cohen
Partner - Johnson & Cohen, LLP